this week was the bayram, or eid, here in turkey, and we were lucky enough to manage to come to the south of turkey for a short escape from the city.
the weather has been typical late spring weather for this area. Hot midday and cool and crisp at night. we did some hiking, some swimming, a lot of reading and relaxing, and a whole bunch of cooking.
one of our favorite recipes to make on vacation is a very light, gluten free almond cake. (we also made a not at all light chocolate cake- not gluten free so not for me- and a banana bread that was a full flop- we combined two recipes and it did NOT work out at all!)
but this lemon cake is delicious. we served it warm out of the oven and it was gone within the hour. i was secretly hoping for a little slice for breakfast, but no dice.
it is so simple that i don’t know why we have never made it at home. but you know, some things just taste better in some places. so, this is our beautiful boat bundt cake… enjoy!
- 4 organic eggs
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1 cup fresh almond milk
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 lemond rind
- 2 tablespoons poppy seeds (alegra says to try chia seeds if you don’t have poppy)
- 2 cups almond flour (we added a couple more tablespoons to make the dough more doughy)
- preheat oven to 180 degrees celsius
- grease bundt pan with olive oil
- mix eggs, sugar, almond milk, and olive oil with hand blender
- add baking powder, vanilla extract
- mix in almond flour slowly until you reach a doughy consistency
- fold in poppy seeds and lemon rind
- pour into bundt pan and place in over
- bake for 25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean
- allow to cool for 5-10 minutes
- invert on serving dish and serve warm with a glass of turkish tea 🙂
a special thanks to birdal abi for sharing this recipe with us!!