as a virgo through and through i am a very big fan of routines.
knowing what is coming up centers me. it helps me to keep some of the more anxious thoughts and “what ifs” at bay. not only do i love living the routine, but i also adore planning the routine. i have all sorts of notebooks- one for daily to-dos; one for our weekly meals; one for recipes; one for bigger, long term plans- and tons of lists! books to be read; articles to check out; yoga classes to take; things to buy; things to give away… all listed nicely and neatly.
as much as i love a routine life, over the years i have learned (sometimes the hard way) to let go and go with the flow (sort of). juggling the needs, wants and schedules of three kids; living in the beautiful chaos of istanbul; being connected to other people socially and professionally- all these have been known to cause glitches from time to time!
and of course, this year we are living through the biggest glitch of all! not in a million years would i have ever thought we would be on month 10 of staying home, at home learning, curfew and weekend lockdowns. i really somehow thought this would be a couple months long blip in an otherwise normal year.
the first couple of months were better; alegra and i had a really great whiteboard, and we had a schedule for every day- it was great! i knew what was coming, everyone at home knew the plan. it was as “normal” as one could have hoped for.
but these days, as covid wears on and on, i am finding it hard to even consider creating a routine. i had hoped new years would inspire me but here i am halfway into the month and still a bit lost.
so, as i baked these muffins for sunday morning breakfast, i realized these might just be the perfect way to start a new routine!
and so, it seems 2021 will be the year of muffins! the muffins will always be gluten-free; though not always vegan nor sugar free (sometimes we need a little treat too, guys!) i hope that you enjoy this new routine as much as i do 🙂
gluten-free vegan blueberry muffins
- 2 vegan flax eggs (mix 2 tablespoons ground flax seed with 6 tablespoons water and set aside to thicken)
- 2/3 cup vegan buttermilk (mix nut mylk with 2 teaspoons vinegar and set aside)
- 1 cup almond flour
- ½ cup gluten free oats
- ¾ cup gluten free flour mix **
- 2/3 cup coconut sugar
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ¾ teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup melted coconut oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 ½ cup blueberries (can be fresh or frozen)
- preheat oven to 180 degrees celsius
- line muffin pan with liner cups
- combine flours, oats, sugar, baking soda, baking powder, and salt in a large bowl and mix well
- add flax egg, buttermilk, melted coconut oil and vanilla extract and mix until just combined
- fold in blueberries carefully –
- batter should be thick at this point, if not add 1-2 tablespoons almond flour
- spoon batter into prepared muffin pan
- bake for about 30 minutes until toothpick inserted into center comes out clean
- cool on rack for at least 10 minutes
- serve warm with a cup of tea or coffee!
** recently, i have been using organik bahce’s gluten free flour mix here in turkey**